Hi everyone! I can’t believe our baby girl is one month old today! The last few weeks have been sort of a happy blur – every day has been a new learning experience. We wouldn’t trade it for the world but the daily worries and challenges of motherhood are definitely on a WHOLE different level than what I ever imagined. It’s definitely the most rewarding thing I’ve experienced but can also be the most nerve wracking at times! In all honesty, I never thought there could be SO many things to worry about!
Over the past four weeks, there have definitely been some items that I have come to heavily rely on. They have really gotten me through my new experiences as a new Mom (of course the most important being the love and support of my wonderful hubby and family). I thought I’d share some of these items with you all in hopes that this list can be helpful to those of you that are going through the same experiences as I am or have family and friends that are/will be giving birth in the near future. :) Here we go…
1. Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets - I can not rave about these enough. I know everyone in the world recommends these for all new moms, but I had no idea HOW useful/helpful they would be. We seriously use them for EVERYTHING…from swaddling, burping, diaper accidents (we all know how often those happen), I could go on and on. Since it’s been quite warm in LA lately, sometimes we only swaddle her in these at night and she is able to remain comfortable without us having to turn on the AC. I purchased/received so many different swaddles before I gave birth and tried a few after Everly was born but ended up using these the most! Plus, they’re super soft, lightweight and comfy for the baby. Definitely a MUST BUY!
2. Onesies with mitten cuffs - I had no idea that newborns were born with such long nails!! It’s CRAZY! I was so thankful that the hospital provided us with a onesie with mitten cuffs attached because our little one’s hands were so tiny when she was born and most mittens didn’t fit her. They would fall off within two seconds of putting them on. We tried to let her sleep without mittens on one night and the next day she had quite a few scratches on her face so we learned our lesson. The onesies with the mitten cuffs attached are such life savers in the early weeks. It’s like getting a two for one deal. They are probably more comfortable for babies anyway. I don’t have a specific brand of onesies that I recommend so you can most certainly purchase them anywhere!
3. Aden + Anais Burpy Bibs - I’m not surprised that these burp cloths have become our absolute favorite since they are from the same brand as the swaddle blankets. They are so durable, soft and come in all sorts of cute patterns! They have also become such lifesavers when the baby has spit ups. Best part is that they can eventually be converted into snap on bibs! Can’t recommend them enough!
4. Medela Breast Shields - I absolutely could not have survived my first month without these miracle workers. All the books and people I talked to warned me that nursing was difficult, but I had no HOW challenging it could be. Although it is an amazing experience to bond with your baby on another level that no one else can share with him/her, it certainly comes with it’s hardships and battles. The first few days in the hospital were by far the most challenging for me because I really had no idea how much nursing would HURT yet they wanted me to nurse so often. Thank goodness for the nurses at the hospital for introducing me to these breast shields. I HIGHLY recommend them to any new mom who plans on breastfeeding because they were really instrumental to my desire to continue breastfeeding. They kept my pain levels to a minimum, and I couldn’t be more grateful. In fact, I can’t even imagine taking them off just yet when I’m not nursing – yes, they are THAT good. Plus, these Medela ones have the closest shape to a natural breast shape – which I know is important to everyone.
5. Motherlove nipple cream – I wanted a product that was all natural and organic to put on my breasts to protect them after nursing and this cream has really impressed me. It doesn’t have to be wiped off prior to your nursing sessions since it’s all natural and safe for the baby. Again, another item that I don’t think I could live without.
6. My Brest Friend – there are a bunch of different nursing pillows out there but this one worked best for me. I think it’s the fact that it can be buckled on so you don’t have to worry about the pillow shifting too much while nursing. It provides great support for the mom and baby which is extremely important.
7. Boppy Newborn Lounger - Not a “must have” but just something fun for your newborn to lounge in. Everly was ALL smiles the first time we put her on it. I think babies like it because it’s their way of being able to sit up and look at the world around them before they have the neck muscles to do it themselves.
8. Noodle & Boo Super Soft Lotion - Everly LOVES bath time and we love to give her a gentle massage with this Noodle & Boo lotion after her baths as part of her bedtime routine. It’s so soft on the skin, 100% natural and leaves the baby’s skin smelling wonderful.
9. The Honest Company baby wipes & diapers – Every parent has their own preference of diapers and wipes – but for us, the Honest Company products really proved their worth. We just love the wipes (so soft on the newborn baby’s skin) and the diapers are super durable (only 1-2 leakages so far!). Plus, it doesn’t hurt that the diaper patterns are so adorable – it makes the daily task of changing diapers just a little bit more fun.
10. Earth Mama Angel Baby Organic Milkmaid Tea – This tea helped me with my milk supply in the early days, and I still drink at least one teabag a day to make sure my supply can keep up. Not the BEST tasting tea in the world but by all means, definitely not the worst. I would say it tastes a bit like black licorice but much more mild. I personally don’t mind it at all and if it helps with milk production, why not?
11. 4Moms mamaRoo – there are a ton of different bouncers and swings out there but in my opinion, this one really gives you the most bang for your buck. Not only does it have five different motions that gently sway and bounce but it also has the options for white noise, nature sounds or your own music to play in the background. Not to mention, the plush fabric is SO soft!! Our baby is obsessed and so are we!
12. Graco Sweet Slumber Sound Machine - this is one of the products that we use the most. We LOVE it. I had no idea how much white noise can soothe a baby. We’ve used this machine almost every night since Everly was born and she has been around 3-4 hours straight (we have to wake her up for feedings) almost every night at only one month old! We really have to give credit to this white noise machine which has 12 (yes, 12!!) different soothing sounds to choose from. The hubby and I have gotten so used to it that we think it helps us get our much needed shuteye as well! A definitely MUST BUY for all new and expectant moms (perfect for baby shower gifts!).
There are so many more products that we have found useful during the last few weeks but the above are definitely my favorites. Hopefully you will find it helpful!
Thanks so much for stopping by!